Saturday, February 9, 2008

Churros and Chocolate


I've been wandering around the south of Spain again (more on that later). It's a good time visit: the weather is temperate, the oranges are ripe, the almond trees are in bloom and the tourists are scarce.

The one thing that I can never deny myself in the South are the churros. They're just not the same in Barcelona. [But if you must know where to get the best churros in Barcelona, click here.]

Churros are long pieces of fried dough (some wheat flour based, some potato based), best eaten with a cup of pudding-thick hot chocolate.

In Seville, there seem to be as many churrerias as there cafes and the best ones that I've encountered pull the churros out of hot oil while you wait and serve them up in parchment paper to take away or on metal trays to eat standing up at the counter. This time I bumped into La Esperanza on calle Feria, just off of Relator, which did just so. For 2 euros, I had churros and chocolate enough to satisfy a construction worker twice my size.

Afterwards, I snatched up an orange that had just fallen onto the grass from a nearby tree and degreased myself a little internally.

How can anyone not love Seville?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.

Angie said...

Just went to the xurreria today and got a cone full of delicious churros for 1 euro. Took them to La Granja and ordered xocolate caliente con kiwi and enjoyed the chocolatey, sugary goodness! In the process of adding them to the mtrip app so others can share in the deliciousness.